Thursday 31 October 2013

Preschooler Cooking - Halloween Jack-o'-lanterns

Halloween is not very big in Australia. But since today is Halloween, today Miss 3, Miss 2.5 and I made some jack-o'-lanterns. Not real carved pumpkin ones, but jelly ones in oranges.

First, grab some oranges, cut off the tops and scoop out the insides.


Then make up some jelly. We made two packets for four oranges, which gave us a small bowl left over as well.


The girls poured the jelly into the oranges, put the tops back on and then we put them in the fridge.



After a few hours, I carved some faces into the pumpkins with a sharp knife (note - I actually started carving a face before filling with jelly, with some idea that I could seal the face up with tape to stop the jelly escaping... then I decided that this was a terrible idea and it turned out that I was right).


Pretty fun! And pretty tasty too.


More fun things to do with nearly-three-year-olds? Check out the preschooler art, cooking and play, and the toddler art, cooking and play posts.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun. My son tried to carve a clementine this year while I was in the other room. I'm not sure what happened, but it didn't work, so he ate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe a clementine would have not had thick enough skin?

      Delete