Thursday 21 August 2014

Preschooler Play: Delay Of Gratification

My husband and I love watching the Life series on ABC about how you give a child the best chance in life.

Recently, I tried out a couple of the experiments from the life lab on Miss 3 (I know, I experiment on children! I videoed her doing it too!). One was the delay of gratification test. In this test, originally conducted at Stanford in the 1960s and 70s, she was given one chocolate. If she wanted, she could eat it straight away, but if she could wait alone in the room with the chocolate until the end of an egg timer, she was rewarded with three chocolates in its place.

Could she do it?


Yes! What a champion, Miss 3 at 3 years and 7 months has excellent self control! She studied the timer very diligently and patiently until time was up and was rewarded with all three chocolates! In the original experiment, the researchers found that children who were able to wait longer for the rewards had better life outcomes in general, so hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment