Friday 29 August 2014

Materials and Techniques: Kathryn's Creations

Oh what a lot of talented people there are out there in the world. Each fortnight I talk to another creator about what they make and the way that they make it. Today I am talking to Kathryn from Queensland who makes clothing in her store Kathryn's Creations.

 
Please tell us a little about yourself.
I'm Kathryn from Kathryn's Creations. I am a mum to 3 young boys, Jack, Mason and Harry. I am married to a wonderful man who works as a nurse in aged care, a very special profession I feel. I love being able to go to school and kindy and help in the classrooms each week, having my own little business allows me this privilege. I not only love to sew, but I love to bake as well. Makes me sound very domesticated, however I don't like to clean! I'd much rather be sewing or cooking -  just ask my hubby!

I make baby and children's clothing and have just started a range of maternity wear. I love being able to create beautiful but affordable clothing for people on all budgets. I sell online and also love heading out to local markets to meet and chat to customers in person.


What materials and techniques do you like to use?

My most commonly used fabrics are cottons, they are so lovely and easy to sew and for customers to care for. The choice is just unending! I also enjoy adding tulle ruffles or lace and other trimmings to add that little something extra to my items. I do a lot of appliques on singlets, t-shirts and overalls and dresses. I love how a plain piece of fabric can be made alive with a colourful caterpillar or other little applique. You will find lots of little bows on my items for girls, I just think they add that little extra touch to a special outfit. As for techniques, I do a lot of rolled hems on my ruffle nappy covers, so my overlocker gets lots of work! I have also just discovered the joys of a ruffle foot - my goodness it saves me a lot of time!


What challenges have you faced in the creative process?

My biggest challenge has been when I've wanted to expand my range so that it reaches more than people just with babies in their lives. Gradually I've been adding to my sizes, so I now make up to size 4, although my most popular sizes are 0000 - 2. I've also added some maternity clothes after discussions with friends and customers about the lack of pretty maternity clothes that don't cost a fortune. This will be expanding into feeding tops as well in the near future.  I would say, it's a bit of trial and error. I tried making baby blankets, cloth wipes and bibs, but found that I don't enjoy making them as much as clothing, and I also don't sell them as much or as easily as I do my clothing range. So I have decided to stick with clothing, but expand sizes and the maternity range. Try to think outside the box sometimes, and don't hesitate to ask your customers or friends what they think or what they would like you to do. It doesn't mean you have to do what they say, but it gives you some ideas.


What drives you to create?
I just love to sew! I love looking at fabric and thinking about what I could make with that particular piece. I also love when people look at my stuff at markets and comment on how lovely it is and how talented I am, it does give me a little boost of confidence. My inspiration is the fact that I have 3 boys and we have a very tight budget, so I want to make pretty and unique things for people so that pretty much everyone can afford them. I do have some jackets on the pricier end, but my singlets start at $5, making them a cheap but pretty little gift for someone.

What is coming up next?
Well, at this point in time, our family is preparing to move from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast for a short time to live with my mum and grandparents - 4 generations under one roof! We are saving for our own house, which is daunting and exciting! But, my mum is a dressmaker, so I will have her on hand during my busy Christmas period, which will be wonderful! Once we are at the coast, I'd like to look into having some of my items in a little boutique store that are scattered around the coast, just another way of getting my name out there. 
Kathryn's Creations Madeit
Kathryn's Creations Facebook
Kathryn's Creations Instagram
Kathryn's Creations Pinterest
Kathyrn's Creations Twitter

All images provided by Kathryn of Kathryn's Creations.

So many more materials and techniques interviews to read. Want to share your story? Get in contact.

2 comments: